11/09/2008

This & That ~ Wandering Thoughts on a Sunday Evening

I've been kind of quiet lately. Quite frankly, the election results last Tuesday have left me confused. I've spent the past few days thinking & praying. I know that the Bible say we should honor those He put as authority over us. And I understand that God gave the people the leader that they chose, but no matter how hard I try ~ I just can't support President-elect Obama. I have been digging around the internet to find one thing that he's planning to do that I can get behind. The more I dig ~ the more concerned I get. I suspect that I will be commenting on him & his agenda more in the coming days, months, and possibly years. All I can say is: PRAY. God can reach this man and turn his heart.

On a lighter note ~ things here are getting more hectic. Next weekend starts deer season for regular guns. Apparently there are a variety of seasons: bow, regular gun, and musket. For the past few years, Honey hasn't bothered to even get his hunting license. But, hunting is one of the activities that he & his dad have enjoyed together. After his dad's heart attack a few years back, I think it has sunk in that tomorrow is promised to no one. As we get older, it becomes more apparent that the Scriptures are so true. I feel so foolish sometimes when I look back over my adult life and think that I held the answers to everything I faced right in my hands. Now whenever I hear young people comment that the Bible may be true but the Scriptures don't cover the problems they are going through today, I just shake my head and sigh. I used to feel the same way when I was young. How could something written almost 2000 years ago possibly pertain to my life in the 1980/90's? God's Word is alive! The more I read His Scriptures, the more I realize that the very same Scripture that pertained to my situation 10 years ago, can speak to my different problem today. To someone who has never read the Word, I can see where that statement wouldn't make alot of sense; but all I can say is ~ Read The Book. When anyone asks me about the Bible, I simply tell them, "As you open the cover, ask God to reveal Himself to you as you read and I tell you ... your life won't be the same afterward."

OK I've gotten side-tracked again. Back to deer hunting. I went to the store with Honey today to pick up some last-minute hunting items and do you know what I found? While he was looking at scopes, I got distracted and began browsing the sporting goods. They have a product out there called "doe urine". It's a little bottle of ... well the name is self-explanatory. Questions raced through my head. Why in the world would anyone want doe urine? That thought was beyond me. And then it hit me ~ how in the world did they collect that stuff? It's not like milking a cow. As far as I know it's illegal to keep deer captive, so what do they do, follow that poor doe through the woods? I know that I'm a very simple person, so I had to ponder this concept awhile. Later, Honey explained to me in his best "man" tone that the stuff really does work. He had used it back several years ago. I asked, "What, do you put it on a tree where your standing?" He explained that you can put it on just about anything, but most hunters put it on their shoes to mask the human scent and bucks come to check out the doe scent. I was horrified. Now, excuse my woman mentality, but the idea of putting urine of any kind on my shoes is a concept I just can't seem to wrap my head around. After all, for as long as you own the shoes you are going to smell like deer pee. I'm sorry; I just can't seem to grasp this concept. The next question is, and pardon my crudeness, how do they know that the urine in the little bottle comes from a sexy doe? I mean can the bucks tell if she was a "10" or simply a homely little thing? Can you sue the manufacturer if they used an ugly doe to produce their product? Enough said about this, but I'll be checking honey's shoes next weekend, and if any unusual smells occur, he'll be leaving them at the door when he comes in.

Oh, before I sign off & get ready for bed, I was wandering through my favorite blogs the other day and found an article/posting that is really wonderful! It's written by NORTHERN FARMER. I encourage you to visit his site and scroll down to the posting called "Some Election Evening Ramblings". I've been reading his work for quite some time now and let me tell you, he's a old-fashion, down-home, country preacher. Well, I'm not sure if he's an official preacher, but he sure sounds like one. In these modern days where God's Word is discussed & taught in quiet, hushed, monotone voices ... it's so refreshing to see someone excited about God! Go by & visit Northern Farmer. You'll be so glad you did.

Tomorrow's going to come awful early, so have a wonderful night, and may the Lord bless you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words! An answer about if I'm really an official preacher, yup, licensed to preach the Gospel. Just became official October 1st of this year.

God Bless!

Lee Ann said...

Welcome Tom! It's so nice of you to visit us here at the cabin. Congratulations on receiving your license! After reading your work for so long, I know that God is going to continue to use you in mighty ways. May the Lord bless you as you continue to serve Him.