2/10/2007

My Hero

For the past few days, I've had a cold that has completely knocked me on my tail & haven't been able to do much here. I've been giving quite a bit of thought about my growing up years & how they have molded me as a woman. As I passed the "over the hill" stage in my life, I noticed that I spend more time than I should looking back and idly thinking about the people & events in my journey that have made the biggest impact on me. Without a doubt the biggest influence in my life has been Mama. I have been so blessed with such a wonderful example of what being a Mama is all about. God has used her gifts of hospitality, compassion, and giving to touch so many.
She has taught me how to take a little bit and stretch it as far as it will go, and how to turn out some of the best meals with only the most basic ingredients. I remember fried chicken, apple pie & skillet cookies!
Over the years, she taught her children & grandchildren of God and the love of Jesus. I've insisted for years that her prayers go straight to the ear of God. When I was a single mom, she told me that she was praying for me a husband ... my first thought was, oh dear God, please don't let her call anyone by name. When she prayed ... God responded. I'm convinced that my dear mountain man is the answer to my Mama's prayers.
But most of all, she has taught me what undying love & dedication is all about. No matter what the circumstances ... you stick with it and you get through it.
"Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates." Proverbs 31:28-31
So even though I'm a day late, Happy Birthday Mama. You are truly my hero.
May the Lord bless you.

No comments: