7/23/2008

Slugs, Bugs, and Rainy days

Good Morning!
It's not quite 3:45 AM and I've been up for about an hour. Bad night for pain, when the rain started, so did the muscle spasms. But, it'll be all right. Yesterday was a really good day. We had a break from all the clouds and rain. The sun actually came out for the first time in almost a week. I hurried and got a load of laundry on the line and went to the gardens to hoe & weed. Of all the chores, weeding is my least favorite. I'm sure most gardeners feel the same way. With the cold summer we've had, when the weeds get pulled away ... there's not much left to look at. The slugs are doing their best to destroy what is there and for the first time ever, there's white flys in all of our tomato patches. I had never seen white flys before. They look like tiny white moths and live on the underside of tomato leaves. When the leaves are disturbed, there are these little clouds of white. When I first found them this past weekend, I hurried to look them up in this library book I have on gardening. About the only solution the book gives is to take a portable vacuum out to the gardens, disturb the leaves, and when the little buggers start fluttering around - vacuum them out of the air. I don't have a little portable vacuum ... and I'm not real sure how to get enough extension cord for my up upright version to make it down to the lower garden where the bulk of the tomatoes are. The lower gardens are right off the road, and I can just see the look on the neighbors' faces as they drive by and see me down there vacuuming the plants. I'm not sure just how much damage these little flys will do, but I think I'll just have to leave them be until I can find a better solution.
We're supposed to get heavy rains today, so I guess I'll work on the sewing machine and organize my new sewing room. On sunny days, I can't justify spending the day in the sewing room. But, it's not a bad way to spend a rainy day.

Have a great day, and may the Lord bless you.

No comments: