8/29/2008

Stuff

Good morning!
It's a beautiful morning here at the cabin. It's warmer than usual today and has all the promise of a warm summer day. I love mornings. Each morning is like a clean white page in a brand new notebook. It's up to me to determine how I am going to fill the space. It can be used to scribble random lines that in the end doesn't make any sense, but the experience was fun and relaxing; or it can be used seriously to calculate important figures or thoughts; or it can be used to put dreams in print to remind me that tomorrow has promise. As I ponder the day over a cup of coffee, I determine how I will fill today.

My heart wants to spend the day painting and dreaming; but unfortunately, I'm up to my chin in junk that has been pulled out of nooks & crannies and needs to be sorted and disposed of. We're supposed to haul a load of it down to Claremont for a garage sale tomorrow, so I guess today has already been determined. I keep telling myself that tomorrow will be fun. We will spend the day with the girls,the grand kids and our wonderful son-in-law and that will be fun; I just need to get through the junk first.

I have come to the conclusion that people shouldn't sort junk alone. There are too many memories that go with every stuffed animal and scrap of paper covered with crayon scribbles. I called my darling step-daughter, Monica, yesterday for information and moral support. She too is cleaning and downsizing and was telling me about how hard it was for her to let go of her daughters' baby clothes. But, she told me that she just had to force herself to put them in the box and move on. She's right. I don't need the object to keep the memories.

I guess I filled this page with doodles. Little notes to myself to help cut the ties to "stuff" and look at what's really important. I have a new resolve. I have the memories, I don't need the "stuff". It's time to move forward instead of holding onto the past.

Well, the coffee cup is empty and it's about time to start the day.

May the Lord bless you.

No comments: