9/22/2008

Harvest

It's been a busy few days here at the cabin. The weather outsmarted me again this year. We had heavy frost warnings a few days ago, and I jumped, (as usual), and gathered in the garden. I felt a little better when I found out most of my neighbors did too. So now I have a table full of green tomatoes ripening and am busy processing the rest. Due to the cold summer, this was a weak harvest. We supplimented by trading for or buying what we didn't grow. Honey and I went up north to a farm stand and picked up a 50 lb. bag of corn, so I'm processing and freezing to beat the band. I love the harvest. To me it represents God's blessings, and home. The senses go crazy with the smells that come from a busy kitchen. There is zucchini/pineapple bread in the oven and a kitchen full of dirty dishes. It's home.

Harvest also means sharing with friends & family. Vegetables go out and recipes come in. A few years back, I was visiting with a neighbor lady who had the reputation of being one of the best cooks in the area. She was a sweetheart to share her knowledge and wisdom. She's since passed away, but here's her recipe for some of the best fruit-bread you'll ever eat:

Zucchini/Pineapple Bread

2c. sugar
3/4 c. Crisco oil
2t. vanilla
3 eggs

Beat well together. Add in:

3c. flour
1t. baking soda
1t. baking powder

Beat until smooth.
Fold in:

2c. grated, unpeeled zucchini
1 sm. can crushed pineapple w/juice.

Bake in 2 greased & floured loaf pans for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees or until done.

That's all I have time for today.

Have a great day, and may the Lord bless you.

No comments: