8/21/2009

What Ifs

The thunderstorm that we have been waiting for all day has finally arrived. This has been anticipated because of its large size. According to reports, we can count on it being around until sometime tomorrow. It’s been awhile, so the rain is welcome. I sit here listening to the crashing thunder and the heavy rain outside my window. Life is good.

Things have been a bit slow this week. The phone has been strangely quiet. I guess the kids have all been really busy. One called a couple of days ago just to let me know that things are ok with him and his wife. He started his job, after being unemployed since December. He was hoping for more hours, but he’s grateful to just have a job right now. Things will be tight for them; but I trust God to provide – and so do they.

Honey and I are going over to Maine tomorrow to look at yet another motor home. We are both feeling good about this one. I have been off & on questioning God’s will in where we should be this coming winter. One day I’m feeling really positive that He going to allow us to go, and then that little thread of doubt starts sneaking in. Even though all the signs are pointing that way, there is still some fear in walking out in faith. It starts with “What If”.

I have noticed that in the past, all the most fearful times of my life have been centered around “What If”. Thunderstorms used to terrify me – what if … (fill in the blank). When the kids were growing up, the “What Ifs” were the worst. A mother’s fearful mind goes crazy with every new adventure and every illness.

I was looking for a particular Scripture earlier today and happened upon this,
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. James 1:6


That particular verse just about jumped off the page at me. I didn’t have to do a lot of soul searching to see myself in the description. I’ve maintained for a long time that one can never truly arrive when it comes to faith. It is always a process. Just when you think that your faith is big enough to withstand anything … the smallest of things will leave you rocking and rolling on the waves.

I don’t know the mind of God. But I have decided to step out in faith and ask, not questioning or wavering. I’ll accept His decision, yes, no, or not yet, and be content. I feel like a child going to my parents to ask permission. But then, that’s exactly what I am. I’m going to my Father for His permission and His blessing.

Well I’ve got to cut this short. The lightening is messing with the power lines and will probably put me and my computer in the dark very soon.

Have a wonderful day and may the Lord bless you.

No comments: