9/25/2009

The Harvest

I stepped out onto the porch this morning and heard it. The sound of Fall. There’s a brisk wind swirling the leaves, the squirrels and chipmunks squabbling over the acorns that are scattered under the oak tree. And the sound that I dread more than any … the lonesome sound of a single goose calling to the others “Hurry up, let’s go!”

Fall is a time of mixed emotions for me. As the beautiful colors appear across the mountains & valleys, I get such a sense of sadness. Amazing isn’t it? To be able to watch God’s most beautiful work, and to feel such a sense of loss.

On the other hand, there’s also a strong sense of urgency. A quickening of the spirit, so to speak. Is it just me? Farmers & gardeners, you feel it too, don’t you? There’s an internal ‘push’ to get the crops in, to gather the harvest, and to get everything buttoned down for the winter that’s ahead. When you look out on your crops, don’t you just see the mighty harvest and think “Will I ever get it harvested in time?” Then, it’s almost as if your adrenaline starts pumping and you go into overdrive. That’s the way I felt when I had a garden. There was excitement to see a harvest ripe for the picking. There wasn’t any time to sit and dwell on the cold winter days ahead … only thoughts of what must be done to get everything in before that first frost. I loved the long days of canning the tomatoes, relish, and pickles. At night, falling into bed so exhausted, but satisfied. While you are in the middle of the ‘gettin’, you think to yourself – yea, this is what it’s all about. This is why you spent the time tilling the soil, planting the seeds, and pulling the weeds. The Harvest.

Say not ye, There are yet four months, and them cometh harvest? Behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.” John 4:35

This verse always reminds me of West Texas. Fall didn’t bring pretty leaves … it brought cotton. Field after enormous field of white. I used to drive out to Ofen, park along the two-lane road, and just gaze out at the miles and miles of cotton. The cotton boles were split wide open to produce white cotton balls. Large groups of men would work day and night to gather the crops. More often than not, migrant harvesters would be hired to speed the process along.

Saints, can you feel it? Can you feel the season for harvest? Is there a quickening in your spirit? The time for preparing is about over. It’s time to be ready. It’s time to ‘hit the floor running’ as Daddy used to say.

The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He would send forth labourers into his harvest.” Luke 10:2

I don’t know about you, but I can see the fields of white. I can feel the rush of adrenaline. Put on your work duds, gather your tools, and get busy. It’s harvest. Hurry up, let's go!

Have a great day, and may the Lord bless you.

No comments: