10/19/2009

Praising The Lord

The cold is really starting to settle in here at the cabin. Yesterday the cold was bone chilling. I wouldn’t have been surprised at all if it would have started snowing. Honey has been fighting a cold, and being outdoors all weekend hasn’t helped any. There seems to be more work to do than we can ever dream of catching up on. We just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Either it gets done, or it doesn’t. We just do our part and trust God for the rest.

I hesitate to even write anything today. I have a tendency to say what’s on my mind, even when I probably shouldn’t. It’s just been so long, and you’ve been on my mind today. For several days now, and especially today, I have had such a sense of dread. This isn’t common for me; so that makes it even more unnerving. Have you ever had that feeling that you just can’t seem to shake? You don’t know what it is that you are ‘dreading’; but no matter how you try to focus your attention on something else, it just hangs on. I’ve prayed about it, but it doesn’t ease. I’ve prayed for family, friends, acquaintances, and for folks I don’t even know. It would be real easy for me to start finding things to worry about. What do you do when this happens?

I’ve given this considerable thought, and remembered something I had heard awhile back. “When all else fails, praise the Lord.” So I crank up my favorite Robin Mark soundtrack and start singing praises to God. I’m reminded of the time when Peter and the other disciples were in a boat late one night. The sea was ‘contrary’ and they were having to really struggle to get it to the other side. They looked up and saw Jesus walking across the water toward them. Peter called out to Jesus, wanting to walk out to the Lord. When Jesus bid him “Come”, Peter stepped out of the boat and began walking on the water toward him. But before he could get to where Jesus was, Peter lost focus and starting letting the circumstances around him get his attention. Peter began to sink. He cried to the Lord for help. Fortunately the Lord reached out and lifted him back up. As long as Peter kept his eyes on the Lord, he was able to do what no man had ever done before.

I’m not trying to do anything big like walking on water. Just getting through today is enough right now. I am learning that when I put my focus on God and start praising Him with my ‘joyful noise’ the peaceful assurance comes. No matter what happens, as long as I keep my eyes on God – it will all work out according to His will. Whatever is causing this feeling of dread isn’t concerning me anymore. It’s annoying at best. But I will just keep praising God and praying for all those who come to mind. God’s Will is perfect. I may not understand it, but He knows the big picture. I’m just a tiny little piece in the grand design. We can’t let circumstances or even feelings distract us from seeking Him.

You know, it’s nice to be able to talk this out. Thank you so much for patiently listening. Please keep us in your prayers. You are in mine.

May the Lord bless and keep you.

No comments: