11/10/2009

Good Enough

The temperatures have been blissfully warm this week. I had roofers here last week. At least that’s what they called themselves. It was Honey’s dad and son-in-law. They were finishing the roofing job that they started last fall. It seems like something always came up when it was time to finish the roof. Do you ever feel that before you can finish what you started, wildfires spring up to demand your attention? Honey’s poor dad has been stomping out wildfires all summer long; and as it is, he’s still trying to get the new waterline set and buried before snow comes and stays. After watching him these past few years, I don’t know if retirement is as restful as everyone claims. He’s the busiest man I know. Granted, most of that is self-imposed. He’s the kind of person that looks for things to do and people to help. I suspect that there’s a special reward in heaven for that dear man.

As I was making the bed this morning, I started thinking about the everyday menial tasks that we all perform on a regular basis. You know the kind. It’s the ones that no matter how many times you do them … they are there the next day waiting to be done again. Occasionally I find myself spending so much time on the routine tasks that I want to cut corners and maybe not devote as much attention to the chores as I should. After all, I’m only going to make the bed, etc. again tomorrow. Does anyone besides my ex-military Daddy care if I can bounce a quarter on my freshly made bed? (When we were kids, Daddy would sometimes inspect our beds and often used the quarter example to ‘inspire’ quality.) How about you? Are there tasks and chores in your everyday life that you feel are taking precious time away from more important duties?

As I was pondering all of this, I felt that nudge again. You know the nudge where God is wanting you to pay attention because He is about to make a point. This is what came to mind:

Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.
(Ephesians 6:6-8)

As to the Lord? So many times I view menial tasks as a nuisance. How can a little thing like making the bed be important to Him? Then some thoughts came to mind. When I worked in public, I found that people would often regress in their work ethics, instead of improve, as they became familiar with their jobs. At first, they would be the shinning example of the perfect employee. As time went on, it was extremely common to hear them bellyaching and complaining about every little thing. Finally, they would become such malcontents that their work would be sloppy at best, and more often than not the little tasks assigned to them would be completely overlooked. With this thought in mind, do I dare look around me? Have I gotten so used to my blinders that I refuse to see the little tasks that I deem unpleasant? Am I working ‘as unto the Lord’?

I don’t spread this exciting revelation from God with the intent of pointing fingers and passing out shame. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’m simply sharing a very hard lesson that God is trying to teach me.

The journey to heaven is very exciting and full of wonder. It is also a quest. A quest to draw closer to our Dear Father as we proceed along our way. There is awe-inspiring power in the great miracles of God; but He is also a very personal God. Just as He walked with Adam in the garden each day, in fellowship and love. He wants to have that very relationship with each of us as well. I gratefully serve a Master that takes time to guide and correct me personally as I seek to serve Him and others better. Try saying that about the false gods of this world.

God is so good – All the time!

Have a great day, and may the Lord bless you!

No comments: