1/20/2010

A Partridge In An Apple Tree

The snow has stopped and now the wind is beginning to blow. We’ve been enjoying several days of low 30 degree temperatures. I’ve peeked my nose out a few times and can honestly say that after almost 10 years, I’m learning to appreciate the beauty of snow, at lest when it’s still fresh and white. We discovered a few days ago that a pair of partridges have taken up residence here and seem partial to the little apple tree in the front yard. The male is awful skittish when we get to moving around outside; but the female will not give up here treats so readily. She’s smart enough to figure that we can’t reach her, so she greedily continues on with her meal. While Honey was shoveling the deck, he was able to get a picture of her. This picture doesn’t show just how big she is. The branches she is walking around on aren’t much more that twigs. As she happily eats her lunch and watches the cars go by, I get such a sense of peace watching her. The Scriptures say that God knows every sparrow that falls. And although she’s not a sparrow, God watches over her too. If He takes such care to guard over and provide for birds such as her, then I know He is watching over us as we work to get through another winter.



Winters are hard here, at least to this old Southern girl. I don’t get out much during the winter months. My balance isn’t what it used to be and the snow & ice play havoc with my cane. But I’m learning how to use the time to catch up on overlooked indoor chores and stretch myself to learn something new. I mentioned before how I am learning to play the dulcimer. Let me tell you, I am having a ball! Nothing beats the wintertime blues like old time music. Just in the past two weeks, I’m learning the cords to songs such as: “Down In The Valley”, “Kum Ba Ya” and “When The Saints Go Marching In” and I’m learning to pick out the melodies to “Shall We Gather At The River, “Fairest, Lord Jesus”, and “Rock Of Ages”. This truly is the instrument for the musically challenged, especially if you like the old folksy sound. I leave the dulcimer and the music laid out on the dinning room table and mess with it every time I get a few minutes. It’s kind of fun to be practicing a tune and have Honey look up from his computer and name the song. It makes me feel like I’m actually making progress. Bless his heart, I’m sure he will be hearing “Boil That Cabbage Down” in his sleep for months to come.

Spring is still a little ways off, so I challenge you to pick a project, a book you’ve been meaning to read, or a dream to work toward in the months to come. I’m finding out that a little bit, a few minutes here and there, can make a big difference in how much I accomplish toward the goal. I don’t expect to get any phone calls to play the Grand Ol’ Opry any time soon, but there’s nothing like playing God’s music to draw me closer to Him. One day, I hope to get good enough to share that music with others and encourage them to draw closer to the Lord too. The Lord truly does provide … not just for our survival needs, but He also provides for the needs of our heart and spirit as well.

Have a great night, and may the Lord bless you.

No comments: