1/12/2010

Learn & Grow

The worst of the cold front has finally passed through, and I back to almost human again. During this time of year, I’m up and down like a yo-yo. But it’s all good. God gets me through the rougher days and blesses me with days like yesterday. Honey and I had a great day here at the cabin. There was little reason to get out and about so he spent the day with me as I practiced on my new dulcimer. Someone once commented that the dulcimer is pretty much ‘idiot-proof’. It is. I’m actually learning a few simple melodies and cords. For a long time, I wanted more than anything to be able to play God’s music. To me that was one of the most joyous gifts a person could be given. After a lot of prayer, I’m stepping out in faith that God will help me learn to play music that will point folks to Him. If you have never heard of a dulcimer, it’s a simple little 4-string instrument that was originated in the Appalachian Mountains. It’s used in so many ways today; but primarily for bluegrass, country, Gospel, and Old Mountain Music. Honey plays the guitar some, so he’s been a great teacher and very patient.

I’ve mentioned an old high school teacher who had taught me that we need to continue to learn, even after formal learning has stopped. He was still taking courses when he was well into his 70’s. Mr. Sweeney taught me more with that one concept than any teacher before or since. No man stands still. When we stop growing, we start dying. Every year, I try to pick a new project to learn and to stretch myself. And as I recommit myself to the Lord, I want to learn a new way to reach others for Him. So my 2010 project is to learn to play God’s music. You know, all that we are and all that we have belongs to Him. I have to continually ask myself if I’m using everything for God’s glory. How about you? Is there something that you’ve been itchin’ to learn? Is there an area in your life that could use some stretching? Give it all, including your curiosity, to God and see how He can be glorified through your efforts.

So while we wait out the winter, the cabin will be filled with the smells of wood fires, home cooking, and the sound of mountain music.

Have a great night, and may the Lord bless you!

No comments: