3/15/2010

Being a Brat

The weather here at the cabin has been wonderful lately. We’ve had rain off and on for several days now and the temperatures are staying above freezing and the snow is melting all around us! That doesn’t mean we won’t have any more snow. But now that the ground is thawing, the snow will come and go much more quickly from here on out. Honey even noticed today that the maple tree by the deck is trying to bud out. Returning geese … budding trees … melting snow … One would think that it just keeps getting better.

Why is it that when it looks like everything should be coming up roses, you feel nothing but the thorns? Circumstances both individually and collectively have been such that our patience levels are just about to the snapping point. Have you ever noticed that when you are frustrated and/or irritated with something, you tend to take it out on everyone?

I was sitting here in the quiet of my workroom playing a song that tends to draw me closer to God. As I played, I was mentally going through my day and praying for God’s forgiveness in preparation to draw in closer to Him and spend some time with the Lord on a more intimate level. As I prayed, the thought came to me – What if God was as tolerant of me as I have been with others lately? That’s a humbling thought to say the least. As a matter of fact, that thought really snapped me back into sanity. For all the times that I have gotten cross, bit my tongue to the point of sores, and spoken through clenched teeth at others … I wonder how often I must grieve the Lord by my selfish behavior and then turn right around and ask Him to be patient with me. It’s funny how all that frustration that had built up in me has completely subsided at that thought. I was embarrassed to say the least.

It is so easy to forget that God wants us to come to Him with all the ‘issues’ that go on in our lives. I’ve found that taking some time each day to spend one-on-one time with the Lord does wonders for my outlook and my ‘temper-ment’. I still tend to lean heavy on the selfish side, but He reminds me frequently that I am to try to be more like Him in my actions AND my thinking. I am so thankful that when we get to Glory, these ‘self’ problems will no longer be an issue. Not only will I have a glorified body, but a glorified spirit as well. Praise God! I continually thank Him for being so patient & forgiving with this bratty little child of His.

Have a great night & may the Lord bless you.

No comments: