12/09/2008

Thought for the day


"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands." Psalm 143:5

Winter in the Northeast truly turns the world to black & white. Back when I was learning to use a camera, I preferred to shoot in black & white. I found that the various colors would often distract me from focusing on the target. I would get caught up in the big picture and loose track of my goal. In black & white, I had to look closely at my chosen object, defining the edges, and making sharp the lines of detail.

I guess God has used that basic exercise to teach me about life. It's so easy to get caught up in the flurry of distractions around me; to busy myself with unnecessary activity.

I mostly shoot with color now. But occasionally I will process the image in black & white to check myself. Am I getting distracted? Am I becoming soft & lazy in using my skills? Are my images loosing their "sharpness"? God gives us the best filter of all ~ His Holy Word. There's lessons in His Word for every aspect of my life, if I only take the time to search & study.

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding." Proverbs 4:7

May the Lord bless you.

No comments: