6/22/2009

Brownies

It’s a busy day here at the cabin. I spent a big part of the morning in the kitchen fixin’ up breakfast sandwiches for Honey. Some people can jump right out of bed in the morning, bright-eyed, and ready to start the day. I have never been like that. On my best days, my eyes don’t open until coffee is served. My family has learned that if they want breakfast, I have to be up for at least a couple of hours before it is safe for me to be in the kitchen.

I can’t bring myself to buy the frozen ‘instant’ heat & eat breakfast foods in the grocery store, McDonald’s is too expensive (and completely unhealthy), and Honey leaves for work at 5:30 every morning. We hit on a healthier solution a few years back. I make biscuits from scratch, add (cooked) sausage patties, cheese and then freeze individually. A minute in the microwave and breakfast is served! On the weekends, Honey sleeps in and then gets a “real” breakfast.

Speaking of cooking, here’s a brownie recipe that is sure to be a hit with all chocolate lovers! They’re rich, they’re chocolate, and they’re really good. It only takes a very few minutes to whip them up. I use these brownies when I make DEATH BY CHOCOLATE for special occasions. If the fact that there is more sugar than flour in the recipe is a deterrent, just remember that a year or so back, the medical folks were telling everyone how good cocoa is for you. I’m sure that somewhere in the rule book, cocoa in large quantities cancels out sugar. Right? Besides, if you make them when company is supposed to come by – they’ll be gone before you know it and the temptation to over-indulge will be eliminated.

Ultimate Brownies

1 ½ C. sifted flour
2 C. sugar
10 Tbl. Cocoa
1 t. salt
1 C. oil
4 eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 C. chopped nuts (optional)

Grease 9x13 casserole pan (I use butter or marg. Instead of grease).
Mix all ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Do not overcook.
You can check with toothpick to make sure it’s done.

By the time the oven is finished pre-heating, the batter should be ready, in the pan, and waiting to cook. This is one of the few recipes that Meja likes to use. I suspect it’s the smell of chocolate in the air when the brownies are cooking. Girls & chocolate – there truly is a connection.

It’s time to get back to work. Have a great day & May the Lord bless you.

No comments: