6/20/2009

Lists

It’s been raining here at the cabin for the past few days; but the sky is clear and it looks like it’s going to be a beautiful day today. I’ve tried to use these past few days to finish up my room downstairs and try to make some order of the vacant spot I left upstairs. Organization is my biggest deficit. I simply was not born with that skill. For me, I use lists to help make order out of chaos. I’ve always said that I think best with a pen in my hand.

This probably sounds crazy, but I love lists! I have lists for everything. (It’s keeping my lists organized that’s the problem.) When I was a kid, and Mama wanted me to help her around the house, she would make a list of chores for me to complete. I don’t think she realized it, but the list would inspire me to get things done just so I could scratch off the task and move on to the next. Hey Mama, I still do that by the way. I’m a visual person, and seeing everything scratched off gave me a sense of accomplishment. My daughter is the same way.

When I am in the mood to reflect on my life, to see if I’m still on track, I curl up with my Bible, a pen and a note pad. The Bible is my road map and I check to see how I’m progressing. A few years back, I realized that God uses lists too. (I thought that was pretty neat!) One of His lists that I go back to on a semi-regular basis is the one in Proverbs 6: 16-19. When I read this for the very first time, I took special notice of the fact that these are traits that the Lord ‘hates’. To me, displeasing the Lord is bad enough; but when He tells me things that He specifically hates, I kind of sit up and take notice. Look it over and see how you’re doing:

These six things doth the Lord hate:
1. A proud look,
2. A lying tongue, and
3. Hands that shed innocent blood,
4. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations,
5. Feet that be swift in running to mischief,
6. A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

I’m still having a little trouble with #5. How did you do?

It’s going to be another busy day. First, I have to locate my shopping list. Have a wonderful day and May the Lord bless you.

No comments: