4/29/2010

Put Your Name In It

It’s been quite a week here at the cabin. For a day or so we had rain; then it turned into snow for a couple of days. Today the sun came out and the wind started blowing again. Springtime is never very predictable. I just wait to see what’s going to happen next. I’m finding that it doesn’t do any good to fuss about the weather. Just wait a little while and it’ll change.

This afternoon I had gone outside to spend some time with God in prayer and when I came back in to write, the house was dark. It wasn’t a major inconvenience. The house was holding the warmth from the west sun. We had a simple meal before it started getting dark, and the power came back on just in time for me to do dishes. Am I blessed or what!

While I was making the bed this morning, I happened to turn the radio on. I don’t generally listen to it and hardly ever tune it to the Christian station. (I don’t care for their formula songs, and a lot of the preaching had gotten a bit too ‘fluffy’ and off-base) But Alister Begg was finishing up his broadcast and said something that really stuck in my mind. The concept isn’t new. As a matter of fact, he said that it was something his Sunday school teacher had told them back when he was a boy – but it is as true now as it’s ever been.

When you read Scriptures like,
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16), put your name in it. Read it aloud and when you get to the word whosoever, insert your name instead. The word whosoever is a place-keeper. It’s like the (____) in a letter or book. The word whosoever is me, it’s you, and it’s the folks down the road.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever (Lee Ann) believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
And the Scripture Mark 8:35,
For whoever (Lee Ann) wants to save his (her) life will lose it, but whoever (Lee Ann) loses his (her) life for me and for the gospel will save it.”

Now it’s your turn. Put your name in it,

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever (_____) believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

For whoever (______) wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever (____) loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.” Mark 8:35

This seems like a simple little concept. But if you think about it for a minute you’ll see that this is actually really profound.

This is just a little food for thought. Chew on it awhile. I found it to be beyond satisfying. It is a reminder that God chose me. He loves me enough to send Jesus to pay my debt. He chose you too. He loves you so much that He sent Jesus to pay your debt too! That kind of love still takes my breath away.

My time is up. Our schedule now requires me to be finished up and in bed very soon. But have a great night & may the Lord bless you!

No comments: