3/09/2007

Cold Weather & Warm Biscuits

Today has been another upside-down day. My days & nights are mixed up again. When that happens, I sleep all day & am up all night. There are pros & cons to this, but I've learned to just make the best of it. The temperatures have been horribly cold these past few days with nights dipping down to -20 or so and days not getting above the single digits on the thermometer. I heard that the windchill dropped the temperatures to almost -50 in some areas. This is much too cold for this Southern girl. Springtime has to come soon ... I have seed catalogs! Instead, we have almost two foot of snow piled on our yard. The neighbors are going to think I've gone over the deep end when I get the hoe out and start digging through the snow to find my gardens.
While I wait for spring and more immediately for morning, I think I'll surprise my family with warm buttermilk biscuits for breakfast. (It seem to do my best baking in the middle of the night.) Here's the secret recipe that my family thinks I slave so hard over:

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

Ingredients=
2 pkg. dry yeast (or 5 tbs. loose yeast)
1/4 c. lukewarm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
3/4 c. oil
2 c. buttermilk
3 tsp. baking powder
5 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water, add sugar to yeast. Add remaining ingredients. Either roll out & cut with biscuit cutter or pinch off amount needed. You can bake immediately or let rise in warm place until biscuits rise to desired size.
Bake 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Dough will keep in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Have a wonderful day &
May the Lord bless you.

No comments: